Satoru Murase has a concentration in corporate and international law. His practice has focused on representation of major Asian and Japanese corporations in their overseas operations, and major U.S. and European corporations operating in Asia. Through his practice, he has extensive experience in providing legal advice regarding corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, litigation, compliance, risk management, employment, and restructuring matters.
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America as Leading Lawyer Corporate Law (2012 – 2014); Leading Lawyer in International Trade and Finance Law - Asia (2009 – 2014); Leading Lawyer in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law and Corporate Restructuring (2008 – 2014); as well as in The Best Lawyers in Japan as Leading Lawyer in Corporate M&A Law (2012 – 2013). In 2012, Satoru was identified by corporate counsel as one of the 272 BTI Client Service All-Stars lawyers nationally for their client service excellence.
Satoru represents corporations worldwide and has worked on corporate financings, restructurings and sale of assets involving some of Japan’s largest insolvencies. He actively advises global corporations regarding cross-border investments in the United States, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. Media clients frequently consult him regarding intellectual property and technology issues. He has also represented international clients before the United States Trade Representative, International Trade Commission and the Department of Commerce relating to international trade disputes.
Satoru speaks frequently on business issues relating to international operations and has lectured at internal management training sessions at various international corporations and a number of the major accounting firms. He regularly advises nonprofit organizations regarding governance and charitable law issues. He attended Seikei High School, Harvard College and Georgetown University Law Center. He is fluent in Japanese and seeks to maintain his college Chinese.
Speaker, Employment Law Seminar, Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry of New York, Inc. Seminar, New York (March 27, 2014)
Co-author, “Is Japan Falling Behind China? — Financial Free Trade Zone,” Bingham.com (Oct. 25, 2013)
Co-author, “Four Areas for Near Term Action to Make Shanghai a Global Financial Center for Asset Management,” Bingham.com (Sept. 11, 2013)
Author, “Expecting the Unexpected,” Best Lawyers 2011 - 2012 Edition (January 2012)
Author, “中国在美国投资：避免重蹈日本覆辙,” (June 2011)
Author, “Chinese Investment in the US: Avoiding the Mistakes of the Japanese,” (June 2011)
Author, “Focus Report: Asia,” Global Infrastructure (Spring 2011)
Author, “U.S. Sexual Harassment Cases: Current Trends and Development of Corporate Policies for Prevention,” Lexis Corporate Law Journal, No. 8 (in Japanese) (August 2006)
Roundtable Participant, “Corporate/Debt Restructuring: Japan, the Hong Kong SAR & (and) the People's Republic of China - A Roundtable Discussion,” 10 Am. Bankr. Inst. L. Rev. 1 (2002)
- Member, Trilateral Commission
- Member, National Committee on United States - China Relations
- Director and Audit Committee Chair, Japan Society
- Trustee, U.S.-Japan Foundation
- Director, Japan Center for International Exchange U.S.
- Director, Table for Two USA
- Georgetown Law National Alumni Board Emeritus
- Member, Georgetown Law Center Asian Law Alumni Board
- Executive Committee, Nippon Club
- Vice President, Japanese American Association of New York
- Steering Committee, China-United States Symposium, Harvard Law School Program on International Financial Systems
- INSOL International
- Asia Society
- China Institute
- The US-Japan Council
- Director Emeritus, Children for Children Foundation
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Best Lawyers, Corporate Law (2012–2014)
- Best Lawyers, International Trade and Finance Law — Asia (2009–2014)
- Best Lawyers, Bankruptcy and Creditor — Debtor Rights Law and Corporate Restructuring (2008–2014)
- Super Lawyers, New York Metro (2013)
- The Best Lawyers in Japan: Corporate M&A Law (2012–2013)
- “BTI Client Service All-Star”