BOSTON (Jan. 17, 2013) – For the ninth consecutive year, Bingham McCutchen LLP has been named one of FORTUNE magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For,” one of only five law firms nationally to make the list.
Bingham ranked No. 82. FORTUNE recognized the firm for its commitment to pro bono legal work and community service, noting that lawyers contributed more than 44,000 pro bono hours in 2012.
“We did it again,” said Bingham Chairman Jay Zimmerman, “and we couldn’t do this consistently without the dedication and commitment of our people.”
Bingham is no stranger to the FORTUNE list, having ranked since 2005 and during periods of significant growth through combinations. Last year, Bingham announced the opening of its Global Services Center in Lexington, Ky., a significant investment in consolidating a majority of U.S. administrative operations for the 1,000-lawyer firm to a central location.
“This past year has been one of transition for Bingham, and we would like to commend our people, particularly our administrative staff, for their continued dedication,” Zimmerman added. “While our transition to a Global Services Center model will position us to operate even more efficiently in an evolving, highly competitive economy, we could not do this successfully without our incredibly talented, hard-working teams, who are the main reason FORTUNE has recognized us for the past nine years.”
FORTUNE’s recognition of Bingham’s work environment follows several other honors the firm has received during the past year across all its offices:
- For the fifth year in a row, Bingham’s New York office was named to the Crain’s New York Business Best Places to Work list, an achievement matched by only two other companies since the list’s inception in 2008.
- Bingham’s Orange County office ranked No. 2 in the large companies category of the Orange County Business Journal’s Best Places to Work list, the fourth year in a row the firm was recognized.
- The Hartford Business Journal named Bingham’s Hartford office the No. 1 Best Place to Work in Connecticut for the third straight year.
- For the sixth year in a row, Bingham received a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, which recognizes “best in class” practices of LGBT inclusion in the workplace.
- Bingham was ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in Southern California by the Los Angeles Business Journal, the sixth consecutive year the firm has been recognized.
- The Boston Business Journal named Bingham a Best Place to Work for the 10th consecutive year, one of only two other companies to be named to the list for 10 years in a row.
To pick the 100 Best Companies to Work For, FORTUNE partners with the Great Place to Work Institute to conduct the most extensive employee survey in corporate America. Two-thirds of a company’s score is based on the results of the institute’s Trust Index survey, which is sent to a random sample of employees from each company. The survey asks questions related to their attitudes about management’s credibility, job satisfaction and camaraderie. The other third is based on responses to the institute’s Culture Audit, which includes detailed questions about pay and benefit programs and a series of open-ended questions about hiring practices, methods of internal communication, training, recognition programs and diversity efforts.
The complete 2013 FORTUNE “100 Best Companies to Work For” list and related stories appear in the Feb. 2 issue of FORTUNE magazine, available on newsstands Jan. 21 and online now at fortune.com/bestcompanies.
Offering a broad range of market-leading practices focused on global companies, Bingham, www.bingham.com, has approximately 1,000 lawyers in 14 offices in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Follow the firm on Twitter @BinghamLaw.